Join us for an afternoon of spy-themed activities at the Museum! Meet Claudia Friddell, author of Totally True Adventures: George Washington’s Spies, as she recreates participation based spy tactics from the Revolution. Would you be able masterfully cipher Benjamin Tallmadge’s code book? Could you successfully complete a stealth message to arrange for a spy ring meeting? Come participate in these activities and find out if you could have been a member of the Culper Spy Ring!
1:00pm & 2:00pm
Revolutionary Spies - Guided Tour
Introduction to author, Claudia Friddell, and brief excerpt readings that include:
- The background of her book, George Washington’s Spies, and its connection to Fraunces Tavern.
- An introduction to George Washington’s Long Island Culper Spy Ring.
- A map tour of the Spy Ring’s relay, which successfully transported messages to General Washington to patriot camps across the Long Island Sound.
Friddell will lead participatory demonstrations of some of the spy activities the Culper Spy Ring used to help General Washington outsmart the British and win the Revolutionary War. Activities include:
- Deciphering secret codes using Spy Master Benjamin Tallmadge’s Codebook.
- Discovering secret messages written in invisible ink.
- Dead drops
- Creating your own clothesline messages.
Book signing and Q&A with author, Claudia Friddell.
*Copies of Claudia Friddell’s book, George Washington’s Spies, will be available for purchase.
All tours and activities at this event are free with regular Admission.