Become a Volunteer
School Program Educator
Fraunces Tavern Museum is always looking to invite talented individuals to assist with our educational programming. Our well trained volunteer School Program Educators ensure the continual success of our educational mission. If you have a passion for history and hope to share that interest with others, you would be a great addition to our team of educators!
Time commitment ranges between 2 to 4 hours, either one or multiple days a week. Volunteers must be able to commit to at least 1 full academic year. The School Program involves inquiry-based learning, and hands-on activities with students from 4th – 7th grade. This is a great opportunity for those interested in enhancing their public speaking skills and gaining experience in working with various populations in an educational setting.
- Set-up & Break-down of School Program materials.
- Lead 90 minute School Programs for New York City school children.
Fraunces Tavern Museum is looking for volunteer Docents. Whether it’s helping with our guided tours for adults or working with the general public on the weekends, Docents are the face of the museum. Docents will have the opportunity to facilitate a connection between the visitor and the Revolutionary history that took place here at Fraunces Tavern.
Time commitment ranges between 2 to 4 hours, either one or multiple days a week, including weekends. Volunteers must be able to commit to at least 1 full year. Will occasionally lead 60 minute private or public group tours through museum gallery and exhibition spaces.
- Guide the visitor experience to ensure a memorable and positive visit; this includes ensuring comfort and safety of visitors while fostering educational growth.
- Staff museum exhibition spaces and events as needed to engage visitors in conversation and scripted activities.
- Flexibility with scheduling; willing to lead privately booked, 60 minute adult group tours.
Benefits include free admission to the museum and its lectures, exhibition openings, eligibility for a free MetroCard, annual volunteer field trip, and an annual volunteer dinner at Fraunces Tavern. We need volunteers to ensure the success of our educational programming so you would truly be making a difference. Former teaching, public speaking experience, or a focus in History or Museum Studies a plus.
Become a Museum Volunteer if you are:
- Enthusiastic, dependable and flexible.
- Able to work with a team.
- Enjoy interacting with the public and can communicate effectively with individuals, families, and school groups.
- Willing to learn new information through hands-on experience and materials provided by the Director of Education & Public Programs.
- Able to react quickly to solve problems or contact a staff person, as appropriate.
- Capable of 2-4 hours of physical activity.
Training involves receiving a Training Manual, shadowing School Programs & Group Tours, and subsequent review meetings.
If interested please contact the Director of Education & Public Programs at: