Washington's Farewell at Fraunces Tavern Museum
Due to the popularity of the event, please read on for some important updates that will help answer your questions and ensure your enjoyment for the day.
To commemorate Washington’s emotional farewell to his Officers that took place in the Long Room on December 4, 1783, a special reenactment of the farewell will occur throughout the day in the famous Long Room.
This year we are thrilled to announce that actor Ian Kahn, who portrayed George Washington on the hit AMC series TURN: Washington's Spies,will be at the Museum to reenact the toast given by George Washington in Fraunces Tavern’s historic Long Room on December 4, 1783. Joining Ian to reenact the toast will be Dan Shippey, a George Washington reenactor and expert from the Breed’s Hill Institute who served as Ian’s historical advisor and collaborator during his time working on the show. Come and witness the toast, interact with “George,” and talk with Ian about his life-changing experience playing the General on TV.
Event the Requires a Timed Ticket: Washington's Farewell Performances:
Washington’s Farewell - The Long Room
Each reenactment of the farewell toast will be given in the actual room where George Washington bade farewell to his officers on December 4, 1783. Depending on which performance you attend, you will either witness the toast given by actor Ian Kahn, who will answer questions and discuss what it was like to play The General on TURN: Washington's Spies, OR you will witness the toast given by Dan Shippey - who will not only be giving the toast as The General himself, but will also be portraying him throughout the remainder of the time.
* = performances by Ian Kahn
- All of our pre-sale tickets are SOLD OUT. There will be 10 tickets available for purchase for each performance at the door on December 3 on a first come first served basis.
- Please be advised that you can purchase a max of 3 TICKETS PER PERSON.
- The Museum opens at 11am on Dec. 3. If you wish to buy performance tickets, we recommend arriving earlier than 11am in case a line forms before the doors open at 11am.
- Each timed ticket MUST be used for the performance time listed on your ticket.
- All performances begin promptly a the time listed. If you have a ticket for a performance, please arrive at the designated waiting area (Scott Gallery) 10 minutes prior to the performance start time. Once a performance starts, the doors will be shut and will NOT be reopened until it has finished.
- Your timed entry ticket includes access to the entirety of the museum. You do NOT need a timed ticket to see the rest of the Museum or participate in any other events throughout the day.
Events that do NOT require a Timed Ticket:
You must purchase a regular $1 Museum ticket for the following events.
Meet & Greet With Ian Kahn & George Washington
If you do not get a chance to see Ian perform in the Long Room, join him in the Flag Gallery for a meet and greet from 3:15-3:50pm. Please be advised that due to expected high crowd volume, this line will close at 3:30pm. Please plan accordingly.
Your purchase of a regular Museum ticket includes access to all of our gallery spaces, including Confidential: The American Revolution's Agents of Espionage where you can view never before seen objects from the Museum's collection that tell the story of America's first spies.
Museum Tour - 1:00 & 2:00pm
On this tour you will get a look at the entire museum and all its gallery spaces. All guided tours will start in the Flag Gallery and are free to the public with the purchase of Admission.
FREE treats from Insomnia Cookies
Insomnia Cookies has generously donated cookies to our Washington's Farewell celebrations! Make sure to get here early if you want a taste - they won't last all day!
You can don a tricorne hat or an apron and pop into our Colonial Photobooth to #RockOutWithYourFrockOut! Snap a photo with family and friends or with our mascot, Paul the Pewter. Make sure to share your photo on social media using #frauncestavern.
Special Thanks to Insomnia Cookies who will be donating cookies to this celebratory event!